Discovery is a fun, challenging and creative program offering a variety of in-depth experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Health Sciences while experiencing a college setting. Each full-day, weeklong camp is designed to challenge rising 6th – 8th graders to inquire and create as they investigate the world around them. Classes are taught by VCU faculty members, university students and local professionals in university classrooms and laboratories on VCU’s Monroe Park and Medical Campuses.
Dream • Explore • Investigate
- Uses an investigative approach to real-world problems
- Supports in-depth exploration and skill development
- Promotes healthy lifestyles and life-long physical activity opportunities
- Fosters collaborative activities and deeper levels or inquiry – “Beyond the SOLs”
What others are saying…
- “I like the freedom to explore our topic from many different perspectives and the opportunity to offer students a variety of experiences throughout the week!”
- “The students were wonderful and seemed to really enjoy the program. We will definitely be teaching a session next summer!”
- “The classes provided my child an opportunity to take part in creative and innovative activities!”
- “I liked that my child had the opportunity to learn about real life career choices in a college setting!”
- “Unbelievable program! Keep doing what you’re doing!”
- “I like this camp, and if I can come every year I would and every week!”
- “This camp was awesome!”
- “I would like to come back again!”
- Discovery is $249 per week if your child stays for healthy lifestyles.
- Discovery is $199 per week if your child is picked up at 3:30pm.
- Week In Scrubs requires an additional $40 materials fee to purchase the scrubs.
- The week of June 30th will only be a four day camp and the price is $199.
- 8:45-9:00am Drop-off / Breakfast (provided)
- 9:00-12:00pm Camp Activities
- 12:00-12:30pm Lunch (provided)
- 12:30-3:30pm Camp Activities
- 3:30-4:45pm Pick-up / Healthy Lifestyles
- 4:45-5:00pm Pick-up
At the end of each day, children will have the option to be picked up at 3:30pm or participate in healthy lifestyle activities. Throughout the week, children will rotate through a variety of activities.
- Tennis – utilizes the QuickStart Tennis (QST) format of play. Smaller courts, foam tennis balls and smaller racquets allow students to acquire skills quickly and have more fun playing the game.
- Swimming – will be held indoors at the Cary St. Gym which includes vortex, basketball, rock climbing wall and water slide. In order to use the climbing wall and slide, children must be able to swim one lap of the pool.
- Field Games – includes team building activities, field sports and water relays.
More detailed information about registration, scholarships and meals can be found on the MFYC Summer Page.
For more information, please contact Shekinah Mitchell at (804)828-2841 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.