June 24 – August 9, 2013
Monday – Friday
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Lobs & Lessons (rising 1st- 8th graders)
- Enjoy tennis, swimming, outdoor adventure games and healthy lifestyle activities.
- Children will meet new friends, learn how to make healthy snacks and spend time learning about their future.
- Camp features QuickStart Tennis (QST) and is designed for new or beginner tennis players.
Discovery (rising 6th– 8th graders)
- Fun, challenging and creative program offering a variety of in-depth experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Health Sciences.
- Participants must choose a morning and afternoon class or one that meets all day.
- Classes are taught by VCU faculty members, university students and local professionals in university classrooms and laboratories on VCU’s Monroe Park and Medical Campuses.
General Information / Schedule
- Weeklong, full-day camps for rising 1st- 8th graders
- Daily healthy lifestyle activities: tennis, swimming, field sports and teambuilding games
- Breakfast and hot lunch are included for interested participants
- Participant drop-off and pick-up is at the Mary and Frances Youth Center (MFYC). Transportation is not provided.
- Daily Schedule
- 8:45-9:00am Drop-off / Breakfast (provided)
- 9:00-12:00pm Camp Activities
- 12:00-12:30pm Lunch (provided)
- 12:30-3:30pm Camp Activities
- 3:30-4:45pm Healthy Lifestyles
- 4:45-5:00pm Pick-up
Breakfast and Lunch
The MFYC partners with FeedMore to provide a breakfast and lunch for each child. Meals are ordered in advance for the entire summer, which is why it is important for you to tell us if your child will eat a meal we provide, or bring their own. If your child is a selective eater, please consider providing their lunch. Menus will be available in June.
- Breakfast consists of white milk, fruit cup and grain (pop-tart, muffin, cereal, etc)
- Hot lunch consists of chocolate milk, fruit/vegetable and meat (baked chicken, mac & cheese, tuna salad, chef’s salad, beef tacos, etc); cold lunch (sandwiches) is provided on Friday.
- Discovery ONLY: Lunch is not available for full-day Discovery classes, but breakfast is available.
- Your child has three meal options: 1) receive both breakfast and lunch at camp, 2) receive either breakfast or lunch at camp, or 3) bring their own lunch to camp.
- If you order a meal, it will be provided for the entire week. Children will not have the option to pick and choose which days they will eat the meal we provide.
At the end of each day, children will participate in healthy lifestyle activities. Throughout the week, children will rotate through a variety of activities.
- Tennis – utilizes the QuickStart Tennis (QST) format of play. Smaller courts, foam tennis balls and smaller racquets allow students to acquire skills quickly and have more fun playing the game.
- Swimming – will be held indoors at the Cary St. Gym which includes vortex, basketball, rock climbing wall and water slide. In order to use the climbing wall and slide, children must be able to swim one lap of the pool.
- Field Games – includes team building activities, field sports and water relays.
- Healthy Cooking –nutrition activities provide hands-on cooking and learning.
Registration deadline is May 31, 2013 and class size is limited. On-line registration is not available; however, registration forms may be faxed, mailed, submitted in person or emailed.
|Fax: 804.827.1739||E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing Address:||Drop-Off (M-F, 12-5pm):|
|Summer Programs||Mary and Frances Youth Center|
|P.O. Box 843062||VCU Monroe Park Campus|
|Richmond, VA 23284||120 South Linden Street|
- Camp fees and more information about each camp can be found on the Lobs & Lessons and/or Discovery pages (on the left navigation bar).
- A non-refundable $25 deposit (per week) must accompany each registration.
- Check, cash or money order are accepted. Please make checks payable to VCU-MFYC and write your child’s name in the subject line.
- For registrations that are faxed or e-mailed, spots are not held until the non-refundable $25 deposit is received.
- Full payment (less the $25 deposit) must be submitted within 2 weeks to confirm your child’s spot.
- MFYC reserves the right to cancel any camp if minimum participation is not met. Registered participants will be contacted to select an alternative class. If no alternative is available or selected, a full refund will be given.
- Download the Registration Form.
A limited number of individual and partner scholarships are available. Scholarships will be awarded based on need and on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Three types of scholarships:
- Individual Scholarships – Parent pays $25 for a one-week camp
- Partner Scholarship – Parent pays half of the registration fee for a one-week camp
- USTA/Virginia Scholarship Application (Lobs & Lessons Camp Only)
- Once a Scholarship Application has been received, families will be notified within two weeks as to the status of the application.
- Once a scholarship is awarded, families will have two weeks to submit the remaining payment.
- Completed Scholarship Applications must be accompanied by all required documents and may be faxed, mailed, submitted in person or emailed to email@example.com.
- Download the Scholarship Application here.
Cancelation / Refund Policy
- Cancelation notification must be submitted in writing.
- Cancelation notification received prior to June 10th will receive a full refund less the $25 deposit.
- Cancelation notification received after June 10th but two weeks prior to the beginning of camp, will receive a 50% refund, less the $25 deposit.
- Cancelation notifications received less than two weeks prior to the beginning of camp will not receive a refund.
- Refunds will be issued 30-45 days after the receipt of the cancelation notification.
- Cancelation notification may be faxed, mailed, submitted in person or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.